Friday, August 15, 2008

#4 (Feeling All Warmy and Touchly Edition)

Friendly Friday Friends,

This week's submissions are brought to us by warm organ sounds.

Dr. Dog is by far my favorite band named after an animal w/ a PhD. This Philadelphia Phivesome combines some of the grittiest, muddiest guitar tones in the biz with angelic vocal harmonies and a lo-fi recording quality. They definitely love The Beatles, but then again, so does most everybody. In my humble opinion, each Dr. Dog record has gotten progressively better and their new album (the band's fourth) "Fate" is a barn-stomper. I hope you enjoy their song "The Ark." Dr. Dog rocks two very distinct lead singers, but the singer on this song (the bassist) sings with about as much emotion as possible. You can hear the passion and the pain and the cigarette smoke in his voice. Also, listen to that organ sound!! Pure liquid.

Dr. Dog, "The Ark"

Alberta Cross is a British band that really caught my ears during last week's All Points West Festival. Maybe it's the organ sound. Maybe it's the harmonies. Maybe it's the closest singer I've heard to matching the sound of the late Shannon Hoon, of Blind Melon (one of my favorite bands of all time). Regardless, I love these guys and I hope you love them too. This song busts in like "And Your Bird Can Sing" and immediately feels like sunshine bursting through the slit in your window shade. Have Fun.

Alberta Cross, "Old Man Chicago"

As always, let me know what you think.

Five rings unite us in Olympic glory,
Nick

No comments:

Post a Comment