Friday, January 9, 2009

#13 (Colours Edition)

Fitfully Frantic Friday, Friends,

One of the cooler things in music is seeing an artist you love reference another artist you love. I was particularly delighted when this girl I know passed along a new song from new-bohemian songwriter Elvis Perkins. Something about his lyrics and his melody reminded me immediately of another song from some time ago (one of my mother's favorite songs of all time). It seems that Perkins has written a little tribute to the great sunshine superman Donovan and thrown in a delicious twist to all those folk music historians paying attention. It's amazing all the things that colors can be. Enjoy!

Donovan: "Colours" (1972):
http://www.imeem.com/people/dNKdMn//music/Qbmz8Mql/colours/

Opening line: "Yellow is the color of my true love's hair."

Elvis Perkins in Dearland: "Shampoo" (2009):
http://hypem.com/search/elvis%20perkins%20shampoo/1/

Opening Line: "Yellow is the color of my true love's crossbow." :)

As always, let me know what you think.

Colourfully Yours,
N
PS. Love you, mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment